NZE Builder Training
For an introduction to the CHBA NZE Labelling Program
view our recorded webinar and slide deck here.
The CHBA NZE Builder Training is mandatory for participation in the CHBA NZE Labelling Program. Builders must also complete NRCan R-2000 Builder Training. As a part of this training, participants will receive a copy of the CHBA Builders' Manual.
- Understand the requirements of the CHBA NZE Labelling Program PILOT – for both the builder and the home.
- Understand basic principles, concepts and solutions of Building Science, including House-As-A-System.
- Identify and explain the advanced Building Science practices and technologies required to move beyond R-2000 to meet NZE performance, including the energy related metrics.
- Learn about the current market opportunities for NZE Homes.
The agenda covers the evolution of NZE, and where we are today – and will highlight lessons learned. The areas of technical focus are:
- NZE Design tips
- Optimized Envelopes (wall assemblies including the air barriers, insulation, and windows)
- Mechanicals for low-load homes (electrical baseloads, heating, cooling, ventilation, DHW)
- Renewable Energy (PV vs Solar Thermal, energy storage, dashboards)
There’s an exam at the end of the course to confirm that participants have learned the key NZE components.
Learn more about how to become
a CHBA NZE Qualified Builder/Renovator here.
To accelerate the uptake of the new CHBA NZE label, and to help ensure that builders and renovators across Canada have an opportunity to access appropriate NZE training, three of the CHBA NZE Housing Council sponsor members have proactively stepped forward to provide funding for the delivery of a limited number of one-day NZE Builder Training sessions. These sponsored sessions are indicated in the chart below with an asterix.*
|Apr 18||Apr 19*||Fredericton||CHBA-NB||506-459-7219|
|Apr 21||Apr 22*||Halifax||Nova Scotia HBA||1-800-668-2001|
|Nov 23||Nov 24||Kanata||EnerQuality||Website|
Feedback from participants will provide guidance to the CHBA Net Zero Energy Housing Council’s Education Working Group, assisting in the development of a National Standard. Delivery of this standard will begin upon the completion of the PILOT phase and the launch of version 1 of the CHBA NZE Labelling Program.
In May 2015 the Net Zero Energy Housing Council struck an Education Working Group to determine the formal and informal educational priorities specifically related to the CHBA NZE Labelling Program.
The NZC Education Working Group is developing an Education Strategy which, when complete, will include the results of a needs assessment and gap analysis. (Existing training/course content will be reviewed to ensure duplication doesn't occur.) Learning objectives will be included as well as an overview of the required curriculum content - confirming the priority content and delivery methods.
The development of any new educational opportunities will be a collaborative effort that will engage local/provincial HBAs, NZE Qualified SOs, and other key partners.
EDUCATION WORKING GROUP MEMBERS
David Silburn, Chair
SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, AB
Icynene, Mississauga, ON
RDC Fine Homes Inc., Whistler, BC
North Ridge Development, Saskatoon, SK
BC Hydro, Vancouver, BC
Nova Scotia Community College, Lawrencetown, NS
EnerQuality, Toronto, ON